Five Star Award
Five star – White Water Leader
A Five Star Award holder has the personal, leadership and safety skills required to lead groups, (in formal and informal settings) in discipline specific advanced environments
Aims – Successful performance at this level indicates that a candidate has entered the top level of performance, involving a high level of personal skill and leadership in advanced situations. It is a leadership award and the appropriate test for paddlers who wish to lead groups of paddlers on advanced river journeys in white water kayaks. Five star leader has the skills and judgement to select appropriate river trips for paddlers with a range of experience.
- Four star award in the equivalent discipline (White water Leader)
- First aid award (minimum 16hrs)
- Previous experience (see syllabus for full details, but includes a minimum of 30 varied, advanced white water river days, in 3 different geographical areas and logged experience of paddling grade 5 with peers)
- 5 Star Training (Minimum three days logged experience, five days would be normally more appropriate)
- Candidate must be 18 or over at time of assessment.
Notes – Leadership carries legal responsibilities, to hold this award is not enough. Leaders should hold a current first aid award and suitable insurance (either a private insurance policy or a BCU coaching membership).
Notes: other Five star courses are available and we’ll put them up at some point in the future
Planned Five Star Courses
If there are no courses planned or the dates planned are not suitable for you, then let our training officer know by
© Leeds Canoe Club 2017